- It's a replacement for the menu feature.
- It was introduced in Android 3.0 and refined in Android 4.0.
- It's included in activities that use the Holo theme family.
Elements of the Action Bar graphic include:
- Application icon.
- Application name.
- Up navigation to a parent screen.
- Built-in tab navigation for switching between fragments.
- Drop-down list for alternative navigation such as sort by a different criteria.
- Important actions for a given app such as search and share.
Google has recently developed a set of classes to give the Action Bar backward compatibility for pre Android 3.0 devices. These classes invoke the action bar design pattern on pre-API 11 devices and the built-in Action Bar on devices supporting API 11 or greater.