Certainly traditional media such as newspapers, TV, radio and magazines are still very important to marketing products and services. But the newer, high tech, internet driven media and tools are playing an ever increasing role. Consider:
- LPO (Landing Page Optimization)
- Internet Based Public Relations
- PPC (Pay per Click) Advertising
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- Smartphone and Tablet Apps
- Weblogs (Blogs)
- Video (YouTube, etc.)
- Social Networking (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Web Analytics
- QR (Quick Response) Codes
And the list goes on. Some long for the 'good old days' as portrayed in the popular TV series Mad Men. Come up with a great angle on a product, buy a lot of space in paper media and watch the sales roll in. Technology was left up to the back room gnomes who would calculate results and play with budgets.
Today, technology is center stage in most marketing campaigns. There are, of course, challenges in the marriage of the two domains. Consider this list:
- Finding the right balance between the new and the traditional.
- Knowing how far to go with technology. Just like traditional media, it can get expensive.
- Getting the traditional media folks to interact with the new media folks.
- Not forgetting the importance of branding, positioning, images and other 'soft' elements when dealing with 'hard' technology.
So, how to deal with all this? Some thoughts:
- Technology can be applied incrementally. Small scale at first to judge results, then a broader roll out.
- Technology can provide a lot of detail about results and how it is working. It can be much more transparent than traditional media if reported correctly.
- Technology can provide two way dialogues with the audience. This can be informative and allow adjustments as time passes.
A good example showing that today's audiences want both old and new media is the YouTube phenomenon. People like watching moving images. It's been around for 100 years. YouTube provides audiences a new element of control and interaction that enhances their experience.
Find ways to marry the two like that, and you're on your way to success.